I can’t help myself. If there is a trip to be planned, then I’m planning it!
A mini road trip around the South Island of New Zealand
Starting & finishing in Christchurch, I will be staying in Tekapo, Fox Glacier & Nelson
- Fly into Christchurch, pick up rental car. Stay a couple nights with mum
- Drive from Christchurch to Tekapo, popping in to see a couple of friends in Rakaia & Ashburton – they don’t know this yet (unless they’re reading this and in that case SURPRISE!)
- Spend a couple of nights in Tekapo. I am hoping for clear nights & also to see the Aurora Australis (Southern Lights)
- Drive up Mount Cook Road .. no need to guess why!
- Spend two nights at Fox Glacier.
- Go to Lake Matheson & hopefully get a view like this:
- Drive up to Nelson and stop briefly at St Arnaud because I want a photo like this of Lake Rotoiti:
- Spend a few days in Nelson catching up with family and meeting my new great niece.
- Drive back down to Christchurch via Queen Charlotte Drive & Kaikoura – last time I did that, the drive took over 9 hours so I might have to leave early or miss out on Queen Charlotte Drive (which is stunning!)
- Stop in for pizza and a catch up with a friend in Rangiora
- Spend the last few nights in Christchurch with mum.
- Day trip over to Wainui (over the harbour from Akaroa) to catch up my brother & his family (maybe stay the night – depending on time)
I’m in NZ for 2 weeks and only plan on the road trip being about 7/8 days. It will be a lot of ground to cover and a lot of driving but hey, I’ve done it before, I’m sure I can do it again. Luckily New Zealand is a pretty stunning place so the whole idea is to go with the flow, take it easy and stop to smell the roses along the way.
Only 91 sleeps to go 🙂